Bhut Jolokia

Discussion in 'Propagation Methods & Advice' started by Robert Price, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Robert Price

Robert Price New Member

Hi I'm Rob from West Sussex.

I brought a fresh Bhut Jolokia (yellow) chilli back from Borneo in January off this year. I've propagated approximately 2 dozen seedlings. The first 12 were sown in January, appeared in 6 days and were then dormant for 12 weeks. Positioned in a West facing bay window, they're now approx. 12 to 17 cm high and covered in healthy foliage. The second batch are still only 3 to 4 cm high and real leaves just starting to appear. I'm feeding them all with 'Chilli Focus' weekly. I'm a complete novice and having got this far feels like a real achievement, I've looked online and this particular variety has much conflicting information surrounding it. I'd be really grateful for any advice anyone has, for example, when should I expect flowers and is there anything else I should be doing to improve likelihood of eventually finding fruit! An old woman half way up a mountain in the Bornean jungle gave me the original chilli/seeds, I really want these plants to succeed! I can provide pictures if it would help you experts, and if anyones interested I'm happy to send them some seedlings to increase our chances. Many thanks in advance! Rob.

2. Kennyboy

Kennyboy New Member

Hi Robert, I have just joined the forum and am disappointed on the lack of replies to any question or query.
    I grew Bhut Jolokia last year, my first year of growing chillies which I was pleased with the results, wrt the Bhut jolokia, I had two that grew, one plant only reached about 1ft tall and yielded a few small fruit that wasn't usable, the other grew to 6ft and yielded loads of fruit! They are late ripeners and it was well into the autumn when I picked my last chillies. So from that experience I would say its pot luck.
    I'm growing again this year from seeds of the 6ft plant so will let you know how it goes.