Weird spots under leaves (naga)

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases & Cures' started by Spectral, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Spectral

Spectral New Member

20170328_233146.jpg 20170328_233146.jpg Hi, first post here!, I have for the first time grown some naga chilli plants. Everything has been going well but on one of the plants I have noticed some really weird spots on the underside of the leaves included pictures, has anyone got any idea what they are and what I can do about it.

2. Spectral

Spectral New Member

I google yesterday, and I think its edema. From over watering, coincidence that the last few days I started bottom watering.. So a little relieved but still unsure.

3. colette hatley

colette hatley New Member

They are aphids.

4. Spectral

Spectral New Member

Thanks for your reply, at first that's what I thought, but they do not come off the leaf and they seem to be part of the leaf.

• Like Like x 1
  5. colette hatley

colette hatley New Member

Sorry now that i have zoomed in and looked properly i can see its not creatures.

6. chillijon

chillijon New Member

Snap! I have several plants with "similar" symptoms. Supposedly my plants are Nagas but I am no longer sure. I thought this is possibly a virus. TMV came to mind but the online pictures don't confirm it.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem please? At the moment I am looking to destroy all my plants and wipe the slate clean.

My pictures attached. There is leaf curl on the top leaves. The underside of the leaf is heavily "pimpled" rather than spotted. There are even spots/pimples on the stem. The plants are grown from seed and are still in a John Innes seed compost mix.

Pict 1.jpg

pict 2.jpg

pict 3.jpg

7. Spectral

Spectral New Member

Thanks for the reply. Wow, that's a whole lot worse! It looks very similar to mine. I'm still sure it's an edema condition from to much water. If it is it confirms more you have naga as they like dryer conditions, from what iv read. It's not only to much watering but maybe humidity too and plants to close together. It's almost like they are sweating out the excess water in a bad way. Soil needs to be nearly dry to be honest, and spray water just before they wilt. Iv just reported mine to big pots, fingers crossed.

8. Spectral

Spectral New Member

Here they are now....

Attached Files:

9. chillijon

chillijon New Member

Sounds like you are having a measure of success. Perhaps I won't ditch my plants just yet. Keep posting updates. I'd like to know if they fully recover. Did you remove any leaves or just let them be?

Anyways I'm off to repot my troublesome plants.

10. Spectral

Spectral New Member

From what iv read, they only very slightly recover, only new growth can confirm if they are back to normal. But I think its not too detrimental. I do have another issue though, some of the leaves have little cuts in them, I could see them for as the leaf grew. Hope it's nothing to bad....

Attached Files:

11. Spectral

Spectral New Member

12. Spectral

Spectral New Member

13. chillijon

chillijon New Member

OK had a look thanks. Will wait to see what happens after repotting.

14. sblmbb

sblmbb New Member

I came here because my chilli plants have exactly the same thing. I was ready to start spraying them with pesticides, but luckily for me you have intentified the problem. I have improved my air flow and I'm not gonna water them so much in the future, hoping they will recover.